What Is Our Mission?
Hands & Voices of Nebraska is a parent-driven, non-profit organization dedicated to supporting families that have children who are deaf and hard-of-hearing without a bias toward communication modes or methodologies. We want to provide Nebraska families with the necessary resources, networking, and information in order to improve communication access and educational outcomes for their children. Our statewide activities, advocacy efforts, and parent/professional collaboration are all focused on enabling our deaf and hard-of-hearing children to reach their fullest potential!
Who Are We?
- We are families with children who have all types of hearing loss.
- We use many different types of communication modes: Auditory Verbal, Auditory Oral, Cued Speech, American Sign Language, Signed English, Simultaneous Communication and Total Communication.
- We are deaf and hard-of-hearing adults.
- We are professionals.
- We are from every corner of the state of Nebraska.
- We are united, because we are Hands & Voices.
Our organization is parent-driven, but highly collaborative with professionals represented on the advisory board. Professionals make up about one-third of our membership. We work at local and national levels. We provide local and regional support consistent with Hands & Voices’ non-biased philosophy and mission. In addition to family support, we also strive to be involved at the systems development level.
Families within the same geographic region within the state can share experiences and information as they support each other. They will be given the opportunity to gain knowledge and direction from families who have faced the same challenges and choices.
Our Guiding Principles
Innovation, Community, Collaboration, and Respect